Monday, January 09, 2017

The Tao of DB2 - Part 15: Putting it all together!

We rejoin our soon-to-be-retiring DBA and the intern who is tasked with replacing him as the old DBA continues to teach the young intern about Tao and DB2.

"Soon, I will be retiring, and all of this will be yours," said the expert DBA. "Are you ready?"

"I am trying my best," said the intern. "Do you have any more advice for me before you go?"

"Ahhh... you are wise to ask. Let me again reach into the Tao to deliver a lesson..."



Squinting confusedly at his mentor the intern mumbled "…but a fish has nothing to do with my job."

The Taoist DBA corrected his intern saying "There are lessons to be learned everywhere and from everything."

The lesson here is that you should not attempt to fix what isn't broken. Just like a small fish can be spoiled simply by handling it, so can a well-tuned DB2 application. Establish service level agreements and if all is running within the agreed-upon service level, leave it alone.

"Another lesson from the Tao," said the elder DBA, "is that by giving as much care to the end as to the beginning, there will be few failures."

"You have done a great job preparing me," said the intern. "I feel my confidence rising,but I am frustrated that I am not yet a master."

Taoist DBA winked and said "Then you know how it feels!"


The lesson here is that persistence is a quality that all successful DBAs possess. Perplexed by a problem, it is always that next “thing” that will solve it… and that is a good quality. Nobody can know everything, but the more you work at it, the more things will become second nature to you as a DB2 DBA. 

"As a final lesson, let me tell you that you will learn to be ‘one with DB2’ as you apply your knowledge and these lessons to the job at hand.  Don’t panic, use your training, and the Tao of DB2 will flow through you…" were the next to last words the Taoist DBA had to say to the intern.





And with that, his mentor disappeared...


No comments: