Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Answering a Question: Dealing with Different Data Types

I get a lot of e-mail. Some of it is junk, but some of it contains questions on all sorts of issues. I cannot answer everything that comes into my in box or I wouldn't have time to earn a living. But every now and then I will answer a question here on the blog.

Today's question is:


Dear Mr. Mullins, 
I have a question I hope you can help me with.  In DB2 I am attempting to compare two columns, however one column is data type "Integer" and the other is data type "Decimal".  Can you give me an idea on how to convert the data types so they can be compared?




And here is my answer:
You can cast one data type to the other. For example, to cast the decimal to an integer you would use the INTEGER function, like so:

           WHERE INTEGER(dec_col) = int_col

Or you could cast the integer column to a decimal like this:

           WHERE DECIMAL(int_col) = dec_col
Alternately, you can use CAST to cast either column to either data type. For example, CAST(dec_col AS INTEGER)…  Hope this helps…


No comments: